Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Am I a Trickster?

As we were talking about tricksters today in class, the question got posed, "Who is the trickster in your world?" This got me thinking, I do seem to fit most of the qualities of the trickster, similar to Hermes. We have learned 6 traits the define a trickster, 1) ambiguous personality, 2) deceiver-trick player, 3) shape shifter, 4) situation inverter, 5) messenger/imitator of the gods, and 6) bricoleur. Now, I don't fit all of these traits exactly, but some of my personality seems to lean towards the trickster. I have been known to persuade people into doing crazy things. I myself tend to do a lot of crazy, some might say "taboo" things, like jump off bridges and off of cliffs, etc. Some may consider this fearlessness, others (like my mother) say it is stupidity. I have been told I do this stuff because I have no sense of judgement stemming from a recent head injury ( I know, I have one traumatic brain injury in the bag and I still risk my life whenever I get the chance, maybe I am not so intelligent). I just think I am an adrenaline junkie, and there is nothing wrong with that. So when other people see these not-normal things and are skeptical about doing them, I am usually there to talk them into doing it, and 99% of the time, they are glad they did it after its all said and done. Another trait of mine that goes hand in hand with persuading is that, I will admit, I am a pretty good bull-sh*tter. I mean, I got paid to BS tourists near Mount Rushmore for two summers (check out cosmosmysteryarea.com) . If you ask my dad, he will tell you I have been BSing since day one (there is proof in our home videos). Basically, I like to stir the pot and cause debate, and make people think about things that are out of the ordinary. Since I was young, I have loved to pull pranks on people, especially my sister. She was way too easy to scare, and I enjoyed it every time. I am not a messenger to the gods, and I can not change my shape, although I have been known to dress up in costume for parties and things like that, but I would definately call myself a bicoleur (DIYer). If you ask my ex girlfriend, I am way too independent (I never saw this a bad thing). I just like to make things and get things done on my own. Although I am not a full-blown trickster by the standards of those 6 traits, I would call myself the trickster in my world, and the world of those around me. I tend to do things that others see as out-of-the-ordinary, and (not to toot my own horn), I would say I have a way with words.

1 comment:

  1. I don't think a person can be their own personal trickster. For any tricks you play are your actions and you know and understand the consequences and risks. I think when dealing with a trickster the individual who the trick is being played upon has no idea that the trick is coming or what it may entail. You clearly sound like a mischievous trickster that enjoys, and gets a sick (yet hilarious), pleasure by playing tricks on others around you but in my opinion an individual cannot be their own personal trickster.

    ReplyDelete