Friday, April 22, 2011

127 hours

I watched 127 hours last night. I had seen it before, but this time I watched it differently. I payed more attention to the journey of the hero. Somebody in our class had presented on this already, and it made me think more about it while watching the movie. Although Aron Ralston has his external trials of getting free from the rock and conserving water, his toughest trial, in my opinion, is his internal trial of staying calm. There is a point in the movie where he says to himself, "Don't lose it Aron, don't lose it." I think this is the toughest and most important trial for him. If he was not able to keep it together, he would not have lasted near as long as he did. By staying calm, he was able to make logical, reasonable decisions pertaining to his water conservation, hooking up his harness to sit in, etc. (basically his other trials).
This movie hits close to home for me in a way because I am similar to Aron, i like to go play in the outdoors and have crazy, sometimes reckless, adventures. My mom realizes this too, and right after she saw this movie she called me to make sure I was safe and that I always let her know what I am up to. I think this is his boon as a cultural hero. The culture he is a hero for is the culture of adventurers and outdoorsman. It shows us that you should always let people know where you are at, that way this situation never happens to you. You have to be smart, reasonable, and able to rely on others. Being too independent could put you "between a rock and a hard place."

No comments:

Post a Comment